Charitable Children's Guild and its Auxiliaries
As the first Orthopaedic Institute for Children (OIC) support group, the Crippled Children's Guild, now doing business as the Charitable Children's Guild (CCG) also known as The Guild, was founded in 1911 in support of Dr. Charles LeRoy Lowman's pioneering care for children with crippling conditions. Since then, The Guild has given nearly $10 million to OIC. The Guild has made the future better by helping children through volunteer and financial support which has significantly strengthened the programs at OIC. The Guild and its energetic auxiliaries focus their attention on ensuring that children get the orthopaedic medical care they need to get the most out of life, continuing the legacy of hope and promise left by Dr. Lowman. Since The Guild began, no child has ever been turned away from OIC for financial reasons.
CCG was founded by a group of women from the Los Angeles First Congregational Church. They assisted Dr. Lowman in his clinic for crippled children at the Graves Memorial Clinic at USC. The ladies helped the doctor with children and provided funds for treatment and equipment. In 1913, enlarged as a non-sectarian group, they formally adopted the name of CCG and incorporated. The members of The Guild followed Dr. Lowman to his clinic on North Broadway in Los Angeles - the first freestanding orthopaedic clinic in the west. They converted the stables into clinic rooms on the original estate given to Dr. Lowman, while they helped to raise funds to build the first hospital in 1922 on the estate property. For 100 years, CCG and its auxiliaries have remained committed to the mission of OIC.
The Guild has given thousands of volunteer hours to patient care and service at OIC. Among its many activities, The Guild operates the "It's A Bargain" thrift shop located on the downtown campus at 2400 South Flower Street. The "It's A Bargain" thrift shop is open Monday through Friday from 9:30 to 3:30, and on Saturday from 10:00 to 2:00. All proceeds benefit the charitable care programs for children at OIC. Make a difference by donating and shopping at the "It's A Bargain" Thrift Shop. Donors can drop off new and used items and arrange for a pick-up by calling 213-742-1478.
Guild Auxiliaries:The Auxiliaries of the Charitable Children's Guild include the following: Members reside in the Palos Verdes area, where monthly meetings are held at members' homes. Members may volunteer at OIC. Reciprocal membership is available with Las Madrecitas and Las Ninas for mothers and daughters.
La Canada Flintridge Orthopaedic Guild
Members reside in the La Canada Flintridge, Pasadena and Glendale areas. Many members volunteer at the Downtown campus in the thrift shop or where needed throughout the clinics and activities with patients. Monthly meetings are held at members' homes. The group has contributed more than $600,000 to the mission of OIC.
Las Amigas de Las Lomas
Las Amigas de Las Lomas' main fundraiser is an annual three-day English horse show, which is traditionally held the third weekend in July at Ernie Howlett Park in Rolling Hills Estates on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Las Amigas de Las Lomas has raised more than $1,000,000 since its founding in 1957.
For more information on Las Amigas de Las Lomas, please visit the website at http://www.lasamigasdelaslomas.org
Members are generally from the Palos Verdes area, where monthly meetings are held at various locations, and all members volunteer at OIC in the thrift shop or where needed throughout the clinics and in activities with patients.
For more information on Las Madrecitas, please visit the website at http://worknotes.com/CA/RPV/LasMadrecitas/index.html
Las Ninas de Las Madrecitas
Members of Las Ninas are required to volunteer for the OIC International Children's Program, as well as at the downtown campus or the westside campus. In addition, Las Ninas commit volunteer hours within their Palos Verdes community. Monthly meetings are held at members' homes.
For more information on Las Ninas de Las Madrecitas, please visit the website at http://worknotes.com/CA/RPV/LasNinas/index.html
For more information about CCG and its auxiliaries, please call the OIC Volunteer Services Department at (213) 742-1532.
Members reside in the Palos Verdes area, where monthly meetings are held at members' homes. Members may volunteer at OIC. Reciprocal membership is available with Las Madrecitas and Las Ninas for mothers and daughters.